A handsome and distinctive Edwardian country house with an impressive wartime history. Set within beautiful mature gardens of over three quarters of an acre, in the centre of Gerrards Cross.
This significant period country house dates back to 1906, when it was built to the personal commission of a Scottish hotelier, W A Shaw. The house originally stood in six acres, stretching from Lower Road to Oak End Way. Its land, orchards and stables contributed after the war, to the development of the village, into the significant town it is today. After Shaw’s death in the 1930s, the house became the residence of the Japanese ambassador until all the staff were interned at the outbreak of hostilities in 1941. The house was then commandeered by the Canadian Royal Air Force for use as the officers’ mess and played host to innumerable wartime parties. Since then it has been a family home, significantly for three families since the 1960s. The present owners have made a considerable investment in the house, restoring and enhancing its numerous period features.
Built over two storeys, the house is built of brick with lovely stone porticos and a traditional loggia. Entered through a sweeping driveway, entrance to the house is gained via a covered portico. This opens into an impactful and beautiful oak panelled reception hall, both significant in its size and quality. From double doors you step down into the panelled drawing room and dining room, which speak of family parties and wonderful Christmas times. These rooms come to life at night, sparkling with their period mirrored panels and gilt wall lights, along with the open inglenook fireplace. Whilst the house has certainly lent itself to generous entertainment, it retains a sense
of comfortable day-to-day living. The kitchen was designed by Martin Moore, at the behest of the present owners, to reflect the original panelling, whilst keeping the room contemporary and bright.
Decorated in neutral colours to allow the period detailing to shine, it is evident from the present owners’ use of more contemporary furnishings and artwork that this allows for striking and effective contrast. Within over 7,500 square feet of accommodation, there is great flexibility and the two original principal reception rooms are supported by a large sitting room opposite the kitchen, which opens into an equally large conservatory. From the breakfast room, the family room lies across the hallway and this, in turn, opens into the conservatory.
The sitting room is actively used on a day-to-day basis for its comfort and views of the garden with the conservatory affording a bright and open contrast during the summer months.
These spacious reception rooms afford the house varied opportunities for inter-generational families, smaller family units and generous additional space for guests or staff.
Overall this handsome period family house is a rare, one-off opportunity to own and treasure a significant part of the history of this sought after town.
The setting and gardens are a key feature of the house encircling it on predominantly three sides and affording the house a high level of privacy. From every aspect of the house, you can view the gardens, with many species of mature trees and plants, which in every way reflect the status and beauty of the house. They are a wonderful setting for hosting summer lunches and barbecues and are a haven for birds and other wildlife. The garden feels like a serene oasis in the centre of this thriving town.